08 May, 2011

Muda na Furaha (Time and Happiness)

In the past 27 days since I have returned from Africa I have been doing a lot of research. Research about issues in Africa, volunteer organizations, grad schools, and the Peace Corps. I have read so much, but I just can't seem to get my hands on enough. I'm so interested in everything -- the protestors in Libya, the conflict in Egypt, the war in Congo, and of course, what more I can do to help.

The more I learn about the Peace Corps, the more interested I am. I feel like it was designed especially for me. It is exactly what I want to do. And then it makes me even more anxious and excited to get back to school, do well, and graduate so I can become a volunteer. Last weekend I went home to visit my parents and the night before I returned, the three of us went out to dinner. On the car ride to the restaurant, we were talking about the Peace Corps and me returning to Africa some day. Then my parents asked if this time when I go, if they can come visit me and see what I'll be doing there. They couldn't see me, but I had tears in my eyes when they said this. Knowing that my parents want to see what I'm doing, what I love, and be a part of it, that means the world to me.

There are so many things we take for granted over here, simple and everyday things. For example, a toothbrush. I saw so many locals brushing their teeth with water and their finger. And then there are showers, toilets, paved roads, clothes, shoes, deodorant. The list goes on and on, but some of the major things are the medical facilities and sanitation, or lack there of. Due to these conditions, the life expectancy in Tanzania is 52, as compared to the US, where it is 73. That is a difference of 21 years. Because of this, I learned a very important lesson while I was there. Time. Life changes so quickly, people are lost unexpectedly, and things happen so abruptly. Throughout my life I have heard so many people say that their goal in life is to be happy. I'm sure I have even said that at one point or another. But in Tanzania, it's not about the journey to becoming happy. It's about being happy right now. Appreciating the things you have and surrounding yourself with the ones you love. That is what it means to be happy and that is what life is all about.

When I first got to Tanzania and saw Mount Kilimanjaro I had a strange urge to climb it, but I thought there was no way I could do it. I was scared. Well, as the weeks passed, that urge kept growing. I finally decided that over the past couple of years I have taken quite a few risks, even when I was extremely scared to do so, and they turned out to be very rewarding. So, I decided I was going to go for it. I was going to take to risk and climb the mountain. Physically it was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do, but after six long days, when I was standing at the very top, the only thought that was running through my head was this:
"After everything that I have been through in the past few years, if even a mountain can't break me, then I think I'm going to be ok."
After I got off the mountain, I was so incredibly proud of myself. I took the risk of doing something I never thought I could ever do, and I did it. And now I'm ready for whatever life has to throw at me next. I have the most amazing family and friends I could ever ask for -- from all over the US, Canada, Brazil, and Italy, all the way to Australia, and Africa and many places in between. I have a great school that I'm about to attend in an exciting and promising new city, and the motivation and drive to return to Africa and help make a difference in others' lives. And you know what? I'm happy. I am so truly happy with my life right now. I couldn't ask for anything more.

No comments: